Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Hello, everyone! I noticed the blog is up and running now, so I thought I would go ahead and send in my intro. =)

My name is Marian and I am 22 years old from the state of Oklahoma in the United States. I was born and raised in Texas, but after I graduated with my BA in English, I moved to Oklahoma to be with my now husband. I've been in Oklahoma for over two years now and I love it, although I do not love living in suburbia. =p

We are currently located in Oklahoma City, which is one of the largest cities in terms of land mass in the world. It is roughly three times larger than Dallas, but we have only two million people, so as you can tell, the city is quite spread out and covers many counties. You have to drive quite a way to get outside of the city limits, but for miles before you reach the limits you still see farmland with cattle or other livestock on it. I even passed by a pasture with a flock of sheep in it the other day, and this was in a developing area with neighborhoods and shops nearby. I like to refer to Oklahoma City as a big city with a small-town feel. Oklahoma also gets many tornadoes and is always windy.

My husband and I eloped and were married on 11/10/09. We don't have any children and don't plan on having any for at least several more years. For now, we are happy with our eight dogs, who are very much spoiled. =) Although we live in the suburbs, we are in the process of buying some land outside of Oklahoma City, so that we can start working toward self-sufficiency. We have dreams of a quiet life where we work for our livelihood and have as little dependence on society as possible. I look forward to farming and raising my own food, as I disagree with the methods of food production currently being used in America (for livestock and crops), and want to know exactly where my food comes from, how it was cared for, and what goes into it.

I am a big animal person and would like to one day start a rescue for the hardest-to-place animals, like big black dogs, black cats, geriatric animals, Pit Bulls, etc. I love dog training and am practicing my skills with my own dogs so that one day, I can help unruly dogs find homes instead of being put down because of their bad habits.

I am a very creative person and I love art and writing as well as crafting. My favorite craft is knitting, and the main livestock we plan to have after we move are sheep so that I can shear the wool and spin it myself (a craft I also enjoy) for my knitting. I also enjoy crocheting when I need a break from knitting, as it is easier and faster for me to do, but not quite as enjoyable as knitting. =) I sew, embroider, and papercraft as well, and do pretty much any craft that catches my fancy. I love to sketch and I also paint, although I am not nearly as good at painting as I am at sketching.

I am a bit of a hippie in that I try to reuse, recycle, or repurpose everything. I enjoy taking things that people would normally throw away and finding some useful purpose for them. For example, I start seeds growing in Styrofoam cups from fast food places. We use a large trash bin to compost food waste and spread in our flowerbeds when it is ready. I save used paper to make recycled lettersets and such. And I like to take thrift store clothing, de-construct it, and sew it into something fresh and new. We aim to keep trash out of the landfill and only need to put our trash bins out for pick-up every six weeks or so.

There is much more to me than just what I have written, but I think I have written quite a lot and this shall suffice for now. =) This is a picture of my husband and I:

8 comments:

  1. Hi Marian! I like your name, it's way prettier than the italian version (that'd be Marianna).

    What a nice intro, I like your idea to raise your own food and have your own sheep to shear. The whole producer-consumer idea is very nice! Good luck!

    Oh you'd share your craft if you have some pics (thanks by the way, I'm glad you liked my projects :D ). And I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with refashining needs! Do you have any suggestion for me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marian! Nice to meet you!

    I think it's a great idea to have your own farm and raising your own food, i would also like to do that one day, when i'm older. My grandparents in Greece do it, they have also sheeps, goats and chicken, and raise their own food, i adore them.

    Wow, you have so many dogs :-) I love animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see all the animals that are in sshelters, would be apodt by loving familys.
    My Kitty was rescued from a mean neighbor of mine and know his got some issues.
    Thats great of you to do that.
    Great Job

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marian!

    Wow, I'm jealous of your city! I have always been a metropolis girl at heart, but Tokyo is so crowded that sometimes I long to live in a farmland area.

    I'm really glad that you are hoping to start a rescue! I wish I could foster pets from the evacuated areas around Fukushima, but my landlord doesn't allow pets :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marian! I'm so happy to meet you. We sound a bit like kindred hippie spirits;) I just moved from Springfield, MO to Florida. I used to be fairly close to you by the standard of U.S road tripping! I have been to Tulsa a few times and driven through Oklahoma city a bunch. I love that you love to knit! What do you make?? Maybe we should post some pictures of things we knit so we can inspire one another. Are you on ravelry? You seem like such a sweet, natural, beautiful person :) Glad to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marian, I'm also happy to meet you. Love your name too [it was my moms name!] : )

    Years ago I lived in Kansas [oh my gosh, I just figured out how many years ago it was ... uhm, let's say that it was before you were even born. ha!]

    I moved there in 1986 and lived there for a few years and then moved to Arkansas which I didn't not like but I loved Kansas.

    Can't say as I miss it out there though when tornado season comes around. : (

    I know all about spoiled animals and it surely is an easy thing to do, isn't it? I'll post a picture here when I'm done in a new blog post and you'll be able to see what I mean about being easy to do in spoiling animals. lol

    Your dream life sounds heavenly and one that I know I'd love now. When I was 18, I couldn't wait to move into town .. I grew up in the country all of my life and well, at that age, I was ready to experience life in the city [actually it was a city of only about 5-6 thousand people so not so big and also not 'that' far from where I grew up at. ha! ha!]

    Now I long for the country life again but the chances of my ever living in the country again are pretty much slim to none ...

    I totally know what you mean about your food and liking to know where it comes from and what goes into it. I am totally convinced that a lot of the cancer today is caused by all of the preservatives that our in our processed foods.

    That'd be awesome for you to start a rescue for those animals. I had heard that black dogs and cats are the hardest to find homes for but no idea why that is?

    And to have sheep and to spin your own yarn, that would be awesome! I am stocked up on yarn [the store kind, of course] but I use a lot of it with my plastic canvas and also I crochet sometimes as well.

    I'm looking forward to getting to know you more as with the other gals. : )

    Love,

    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marian!

    8 dogs! WOW! I would love to have that many pets, however my flat doesn't allow ANY so my poor kitty is living with my aunt and uncle :(

    It's so great that you are into rescuing the hardest-to-place animals. I dream of owning a lifestyle block and filling it with animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashe, I had to look up to see what a lifestyle block was because I'd never heard of one before. lol

    ReplyDelete